Sunday, June 17, 2007

The week started off very busy...

... and our activities have begun to get more in depth! I have so far performed health assessments that total at 190 children within the 2 schools. The other Austinites have been working in nice small groups with 5 students each teaching basic English and working towards basic math. We have noticed a significant difference in the children at Chikumbuso from the children at the Kibbutz School which is more rural. These children have also had less food and nutritional intake. Through my assessments, I began wondering what was the difference between the 2 groups in terms of health and learning abilities, which was interesting. Some students are very gifted and fast learners, where others in the same age group and class, are struggling to grasp the individual teachings. An example that Kelly told me was how many children have a hard time holding the pencil and controlling their letters.

After talking with staff at the Chikumbuso school I learned that these students were all given de-worming medication a few months ago. I think this has significantly contributed to better overall health. I am hoping that through our work here, and the health assessments made we could help give support to organizations to provide de-worming medication for the children who are living in rural Zambia. These children are like most children, so amazingly happy, but unlike most children I know at least, so alone with no advocacy. These children with the little that they have or are given share everything with each other. I have brought many hard candies and when I have run out I see those who have gotten treats share theirs with those who have not gotten any. The same goes for supplies and activities that my group has been providing. Each time we have visited the Kibbutz school there are little ones who wander up just to find their older siblings – the boys and girls both call their younger one to them and they sit with them through class. It is also endearing to each one of us that when we arrive at each place we visit, there are so many waves and screams of "Hello!" along with waves from these kinds little beings! It has also been a little scary when they get so close to the car, but we have been working on that as well.

Some other Americans arrived on Monday who have come to provide a wonderful mural for the Chikumbuso school. They will paint a nice simple design on the outside of each school room, then each child will get to dip their hands in colored paint then make a handprint on the building wall. It will be really great to have such a fun project for next week!

Tuesday we visited Jon's Hospice and I was glad to be back. I wrote in a previous e-mail I believe my feelings and thoughts on the day. I hope to go back this Thursday. Dr.Tim lives very close to the Kibbutz school and on Tuesday Moses (his driver) took us there. We learned on Thursday from Sharon, the school headmistress, that Dr.Tim had come to visit the school. He brought food and he has asked me to identify children who are in need of medications through my assessments so that his organization (Tiny Tim and Friends) can provide medicine and care to them. The mission of this organization is to help children in Zambia so it works very nicely…. Also, his house is only a 7 minute walk from the school.

The weekend has come and gone and more adventures to come! On Friday we leave by bus to visit the city of Livingstone to see the Victoria Falls. I have been looking forward to seeing these beautiful falls for over a year now, since last year I was unable to make such a trip. We will be staying in a hostel over the weekend since Annie was lucky enough to reserve us a room with our own bath.

This post was written by Sabrina, a doctoral nursing student at the University of Texas at Austin and SWB's resident registered nurse.

No comments: